martes, 2 de enero de 2018

Are Your Speaking Prompts Sensitive to Your Learners?

Like most teachers/people, I used to ask my students what they were going to do over the holiday break. I believed it to be an innocuous question. However, one day as I was walking into the school, I asked one of my eighth graders what she was going to do over break, and her response was both heartbreaking and a wake-up call. She simply looked at me and said, "the adults will sit around and get drunk and I will look forward to school starting." I suddenly realized how cruel it is to use  the question prompt: what will you do during the holiday break? This prompt is problematic for two main reasons, it is insensitive to students whose home lives might be difficult already, and it often highlights income disparities between the students.

Instead, I have started asking questions such as, "What was the most fun thing you did over break?", "What was one thing you enjoyed about your break?", Who were the people you got to see over break?". While these questions aren't perfect (and I welcome other suggestions!!!!!), they at least give students who don't travel or have adults who spend time with them, the opportunity to give an answer. Seeing a movie might have been the best thing, or sleeping, or playing video games, listening to music, etc. Yes, these questions can still highlight income and home-life disparities, but I feel like every student can think of something they enjoyed at some moment.


Happy teaching in 2018!!!!!

P.S. If you haven't checked-out my free New Year's Resolution activity, look for it in my TPT store!!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario